Eastern Ontario Fastball Blog

A blog dedicated to news about the Greater Ottawa Fastball League and other happenings in the world of fastball / fastpitch softball in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, with occasional stories featuring Mrs Fitzroy Fastball, Fitzroy Fastball Junior and the Caveman. If you have info to send on, send me an email at fastball[at]fitzroyharbour.com. Follow @fitzroyfastball on Twitter.

Follow fitzroyfastball on Twitter
Google
 

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eastern Ontario Softball, "back in the day"

This article submitted by Mike Goodridge, goodridgesoftball@gmail.com

Hello fastball fanatics, my name is Mike Goodridge and I am going to be writing articles semi- regulary for the OASA bulletin and who would like to use them. How appropiate that my first one would be on fastball in eastern Ontario as I grew up in Kingston and lived there until 1981.


I carded with Softball Ontario umpires and volunteered for the OASA as a convenor for many years until moving to Hamilton in 1981. Fastpitch was very strong in the eastern part of Ontario and by this I personally consider an area from Napanee to the Quebec border. Many, many great teams and pitchers. Some that I recall were the Cardinal Pats, Williamsburg Pioneers, Hull Volants, Ottawa Turpins, Stittsville 76ers, Verona Merchants, Odessa Merchants to name a few.

Pitchers like Teddy Hoy, Dave Dixie, Jimmy Cashman, Al McCallum,, Peter Finn. I know I have missed many players and teams but these who come to mind immediately.

Every weekend there was a tournament somewhere in this area usually of a top intermediate quality, and usually about every 3 or 4 years, the OASA would grant the Senior Elimination tournament to Kemptville. Fastball fans flocked to Lions Club fields and Keith Forbes did a great job hosting those tournaments. The OASA always new there would be a huge gate at those events. Teams from Western Ontario grumbled about the long trek across the provice but when they got there enjoyed playing before thousands of fans.Those were truly great days and I was forunate to witness them.

Thats all for now but if you read this and have any ideas about future articles you would like to see drop me a note. Fortunately I have a lot of information on the game in Ontario and would only be to happy to share.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike! I'd love to know if you have any stories about tournaments in and around the Cornwall area. My Dad pitched for over 20 years for teams in and around Cornwall and it would be nice to get some info! I recognize some of the names you mentioned, for example the great Teddy Hoy. I just started my own fastball blog as well. Thanks in advance!

-Ashley March

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home