Eastern Ontario Fastball Blog

A blog dedicated to news about the Greater Ottawa Fastball League and other happenings in the world of fastball / fastpitch softball in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, with occasional stories featuring Mrs Fitzroy Fastball, Fitzroy Fastball Junior and the Caveman. If you have info to send on, send me an email at fastball[at]fitzroyharbour.com. Follow @fitzroyfastball on Twitter.

Follow fitzroyfastball on Twitter
Google
 

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Just missed the podium

Today was a regional cross country race for elementary schools in the western part of Ottawa. There had to be a thousand plus kids in grades 3 to 6 gathered at the Kanata Rec Centre to take part in a grueling run.

Ok, maybe not THAT grueling: 10 and 11 year olds covered 2km while Fitzroy Junior and the other 8 and 9 year olds squeezed out 1km. (That translates to 13 times around the bases in fastball, then go once more and stop at third.)

I made the trek to watch the final race of the day for 8-year old boys. Junior had been talking about his practices, and being part of the team, etc. Lots of his softball teammates as well were participating and he was excited.

When I got there, I was surprised by the huge whack of kids from Fitzroy Jr's school that were there representing the same age group. As I confirmed with the young lad before the race began no "cuts" were made - you show up, you're on the team. I guess the world isn't as cruel as it used to be. (Remember the list of names written on the piece of foolscap taped to the coach's door? Man I hated those days.)

Anyway, I'm there cheering Junior on and he runs his little heart out. He ends up in 149th place, just missing the podium. He finished ahead of the fat kids and a few others. He's obviously got his dad's speed. Of course I'm proud of him and I can tell he's happy I'm there, searching for me in the crowd of soccer moms (cross country moms?) as he crosses the finish line.

But of course I have to ruin it......

Me: "Hey congratulations!"

Jr: "Thanks Daddy! 149th place!"

Me: "Good for you, I'm glad you did your best."

Jr: "Yeah, it was fun. Guess what? Athletic Kid from my class finished second!"

Me: "Wow, second. Good for him. But that's only 147 places ahead of you, son." [Keeping straight face].

Yikes, you should have seen the look he gave me after that. Looked just like Mrs Fastball when I say "I only had two beer" after a home fastball game. That look that says "Do you think I'm an idiot?"

Ah the kids today, they grow up too quickly.......

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home