Eastern Ontario Fastball Blog

A blog dedicated to news about the Greater Ottawa Fastball League and other happenings in the world of fastball / fastpitch softball in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, with occasional stories featuring Mrs Fitzroy Fastball, Fitzroy Fastball Junior and the Caveman. If you have info to send on, send me an email at fastball[at]fitzroyharbour.com. Follow @fitzroyfastball on Twitter.

Follow fitzroyfastball on Twitter
Google
 

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Miscellaneous updates

Been away from the blog for a while due to a road trip to the Vanier Cup / Grey Cup in Vancouver with 14 other lads. Good time, good times. I highly recommend attending the 2012 Grey Cup in Toronto - next year is the 100th anniversary. Even if you have zero interested in Canadian Football, it's still a great roadie. Our group welcomes new attendees (email me if interested), and we ever have a rookie of the year award!

In other news:

The hockey season continues at our house. Fitzroy Fastball Junior, thanks to his Combat hockey stick, is having a pretty good season, including recently notching a game winner in Atom House B hockey action.

I have also joined a hockey league in Arnprior that seems to be just my level - the Arnprior 40+ Hockey League. (I'm actually an underager until early in the new year.) Despite NOT having a stick deal with Combat, I have managed to pot 7 goals in 9 games. I'm thinking it might be the Movember duster that makes me closely resemble Wendel Clark and scares off the 60 year old opposition defencemen and arthritic goalies. I also recorded what I like to refer to as an "Oldtimers Gordie Howe Hat Trick" the other night, with a goal, assist and penalty in one game - the penalty was a minor for hooking - c'mon I'm not gonna scrap in this league.

Note you can still donate to the Movember cause here (bonus: photo now online). Thanks a lot to those that donated, much appreciated. I have raised over $300, the majority of the donations from blog readers. Despite what I though was a pretty good 'stache, Fitzroy Junior says the other day: "Daddy, Ranjit at school has a thicker moustache than you." Ranjit is his grade 4 classmate of east Indian descent!

The Caveman is doing well, doing his best at initiation hockey and obsessed with NHL games and players. His newest Rainman thing in memorizing time zones, since he has been checking out schedules on NHL.com and wants to figure out when games from out west are on TV here. "Daddy, Vancouver, that's 3 hours different right, Daddy?"

Caveman does however need to work on his geography a little bit. Fitzroy Junior was reading a book about the earth and its composition. He's looking at one section about the molten core of the planet and says to us: "Hey, Daddy did you know it's 4000 degrees Celsius at the centre of the earth?" Caveman, listening in to the conversation says "Where's the centre of the earth? Toronto?" Had a good laugh at that one. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up.

Anyway, in fastball news, I haven't heard too much. Still waiting to see about the possibility of a new tournament in the area coming on board. I can't say too much but I will say this - it's not completely "new" as it would be the resuscitation of an old tourney from years gone by. I'll let readers know when I have a concrete announcement.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home