Eastern Ontario Fastball Blog

A blog dedicated to news about the Greater Ottawa Fastball League and other happenings in the world of fastball / fastpitch softball in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, with occasional stories featuring Mrs Fitzroy Fastball, Fitzroy Fastball Junior and the Caveman. If you have info to send on, send me an email at fastball[at]fitzroyharbour.com. Follow @fitzroyfastball on Twitter.

Follow fitzroyfastball on Twitter
Google
 

Monday, January 03, 2011

Junior loves World Juniors

I was watching the USA - Canada World Junior Hockey semi-final tonight. The boys were allowed to watch the first period before bed.

Fitzroy Junior was right into it, reenacting every save, sprawling all over the floor, cheering on Team Canada.

When Canada scored first, Curtis Hamilton did the now common 'leap' celebration. (Check this one out for an example).

Caveman says "Why did he jump on the window, Daddy?" I explain to him that it's a way to celebrate. Fitzroy Junior says "It's totally cool. I do it when I score....er I mean I guess I will do it when I score." (Still waiting on the elusive first career Novice goal!)

No Fitzroy content in the event, but Carp is represented by Calvin de Haan, a great player and all around class kid who made an appearance at a ball hockey fun event in the Harbour this past summer.

Note to US readers: The World Junior (Under 20) Hockey tournament is a ten team event played every year in late December / early January every year. Sorta of like Canada's version of college football bowl season. Big deal here. Huge TV coverage, newspapers full of game reoprts. I was once at a 2009 pre-tournament intrasquad game (had a real good 'seat' - I was on the ice actually) and there were 7,000 people there. It's not such a big deal anywhere else. This year's tournament is in Buffalo. Tonight's game is about 17000 Canadian fans that crossed the border and a smattering of US die-hards.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home