Eastern Ontario Fastball Blog

A blog dedicated to news about the Greater Ottawa Fastball League and other happenings in the world of fastball / fastpitch softball in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, with occasional stories featuring Mrs Fitzroy Fastball, Fitzroy Fastball Junior and the Caveman. If you have info to send on, send me an email at fastball[at]fitzroyharbour.com. Follow @fitzroyfastball on Twitter.

Follow fitzroyfastball on Twitter
Google
 

Saturday, June 19, 2010

A large day - live blog

Not sure if it is exclusively an Ottawa Valley expression or not, but this Saturday, Fitzroy Fastball Junior had what we like to call a "large day". Here's a full account of the day based on Junior's thoughts.

7:05am: Hmmmm...time to wake up I guess. Today is going to be pretty good! I should go in and wake up Mommy and Daddy.

7:07am: Whoa look at Daddy! He sure looks tired this morning. He said he was playing ball in Quyon last night. He must play really hard when he goes there, because every morning afterward he sure seems sleepy.

7:15am: Good, the Caveman is awake. Time to wrestle. Hi-YAH. Take that! And that!

7:45am: Yum yum, peanut butter toast, my favourite. Yeesh look at Caveman eating that bacon. It was funny when Caveman said "Mmm bacon juice" and Daddy told him it was grease.

8:30am: In the car and off to the ball tournament. This should be fun, all the teams will be here in Fitzroy!

8:35am: This is a good warm up, I like it when Daddy hits us all pop flies.

8:36am: Ha ha, Arnold took one right off the throat! It almost seemed like Daddy meant to hit it right at him, but he'd never do that would he?

9:05am: OK, game time. Daddy says I get to hit first. I sure hope I can hit it hard.

9:06am: Yes! Right out onto the grass! Daddy is giving me the thumbs up!

9:15am: Pitcher's helper, this is a good spot. I get to catch the ball and give it to the coach. I am so good, catching every ball thrown back.

9:16am: OUCH! I guess I missed that one. I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry. But ow, my nose hurts.

9:45am: Daddy really is a good pitcher. He throws them in nice and slow for us! I wonder why he only lets Big Bud the Spud pitch on his grown-up team and doesn't try himself.

10:05am: Getting close to finished in this game now, last inning. I saw the line up sheet and I'm supposed to be in right field, but I heard Assistant Coach say to Daddy "Let's let Fitzroy Junior catch so we can get this game over with." I guess they didn't want Tizzy back there - she tries hard but she's a bit slow!

10:07am: Catching is so cool. Cool mask, cool chest protector, cool shin guards. And you get to touch the ball lots too. I like getting in the crouch like Beefy Steve on Daddy's team. Beefy Steve is cool. Beefy Steve sure smokes a lot. Daddy says smoking is bad. But Beefy Steve is cool and he smokes. Maybe I should try...WHOOPS there's another pitch. Gotta get the ball. Now what was I thinking of trying again?

10:15am: What a great game! We played good. I sure am sweaty after catching. Break time until our next game.

11:30am: Daddy says I have to hit last this game since I hit first in the other game. Fair is fair I guess.

11:40am: Uh oh. Sure is getting windy out here. I think it might rain.

11:50am: Whoa! The rain is really coming down now. Looks like we are all heading for the tent! RUN!

11:51am: Whoops looks like I left my helmet, my glove, and my bat back there. Oh well, Daddy will get it I'm sure.

11:57am: Now that I have my hotdog ticket, I guess I should get one. But the line up is so long. And I don't really like hotdogs that much. Not like Caveman. That was funny that one time he ate four hotdogs!

12:05pm: It's crazy here in the hall. All these kids running around. And there's Daddy talking to the other coaches. I guess they are deciding what to do. Hey there's Daddy talking to that coach that wears the cleats and the short shorts. The one I overheard Daddy calling a "dopey bastard" when he didn't think I could hear him. I wonder if "bastard" is a bad word. I sure don't want to get caught using a bad word, like that time when I was 4 and Daddy took me ice-fishing and afterwards I used that new word* I learned from the guys in front of Mommy. She sure was mad!

12:10pm: This is boring. Daddy is talking to those coaches and Mommy is gabbing with the other mommys. I think I'll go outside with Blondie and play in the rain.

12:12pm: WHOOOOO! This is great! I am soaked!

12:15pm: Uh oh...here comes Mommy. She looks a bit cross. Maybe I should have told Mommy I was going outside?

12:20pm: Back inside. BRRRR I'm freezing now. Maybe playing in the rain was a bad idea.

12:25pm: YES! Trophy presentation time.

12:26pm: Hmmmm, Daddy is saying some nice things about Arnold. "Really improved, real pleasure to have on the team." I think he might be fibbing a bit!

12:27pm: My turn to get a trophy. Look at this thing! How cool! It looks a lot like Caveman's that he got in T-ball. But I play real ball, so this must be a bit bigger. Yeah, for sure, it's bigger and better than Caveman's.

12:45pm: Off to McDonald's for lunch with Mommy and Caveman. Could this day get any better!?

1:00pm: Yum, chicken nuggets. I would eat these things every day if Mommy would let me.

1:45pm: Back home. I think I'll get out the Pokemon cards. Nice, Wurmple has 150 power points, with the Sting defense. Pokemon is so cool. I wonder why Daddy is rolling his eyes like that.

4:00pm: Yikes, look at Daddy back in here from cutting the grass. He sure is sweaty. Holy cow, that 50 didn't last long!

5:45pm: When Daddy makes dinner, my chicken and cheese sandwich isn't quite as good as when Mommy makes it. But I guess Mommy had to go to her teachers' party. I hope she doesn't get sick like last time - after that teachers' party at Christmas she couldn't get out of bed all the next day!

6:00pm: Oh man this is so cool. Uncle is picking me and Caveman up so we can go to watch the Monster Trucks with Cousin. This is gonna be great!

6:15pm: Uncle is so cool. He has a four wheeler, a motorcycle, a boat. Not like lame old Daddy. And I want to be a firefighter like Uncle. That is such a cool job. Not like Daddy's boring job where he sits at a desk in the Big City and talks on the phone and clicks on a computer all day. That one time last year when Mommy and I visited Daddy in the Big City was pretty neat though. There were so many people there it was like Carp Fair. And Daddy says it's that busy every day. Buses, big tall buildings, those machine things along the street (note: parking meters, first time he ever saw one). And those people that get to live right on the street! Camping every day! Daddy called them bums, but Mommy said that's not polite and I should call them helpless, or something like that.

7:35pm: WOW! WHOO! Monster trucks crushing things! WHOOOOOOOO!

8:00pm: WHOO! Monster trucks crushing more things! Here in the same place the Sens play! These trucks sure are loud!

8:15pm: Ha ha! I wish Caveman and I could take our shirts off and wave them around like a towel. WHOOOOOO Monster Trucks!

10:35pm: What a cool day. Ball tournament, a trophy, McDonalds, Monster Trucks with Uncle. I wish every day could be like this.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

* Oh yeah it was a bad word. Email me if you want the full story. A bit too raunchy to put on the blog.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...

Bringing your kids to a ball tourney, McDonald's and a Monster Truck evening... $100.

Reading about events parents go through in a lifetime through the eyes of kids... Priceless!

Steph

7:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home